Nicole Ofstein's Tax Blog

Tax Resources

What options do I have when I owe the IRS taxes that I can’t afford to pay?

When you owe the IRS taxes you can’t afford to pay, consider submitting an Offer in Compromise, requesting a monthly payment arrangement through an installment agreement, applying for a temporary delay or having your case considered for a hardship deferment, requesting an abatement (removal or reduction) of penalties and/or interest, filing for bankruptcy, or waiting for the statute of limitation for collection to expire. The use of one of these options does not preclude the use of another.